[foaf-dev] RDF/SPARQL in Sqlite/.js again

Gregory Williams greg at evilfunhouse.com
Mon Jun 14 20:56:50 CEST 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:17 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:

>> Another possibility you might wish to consider though is porting
>> some of Greg William's RDF::Query/RDF::Trine work from Perl to
>> Javascript. It already runs on SQLite amongst other databases.
>>
>> The one drawback you might find though is its layered approach. The
>> query engine runs on top of an RDF::Trine::Model, which runs on top of
>> an RDF::Trine::Store, some of which sits on top of database libraries
>> (though there are other stores like in-memory ones). It's a good
>> architecture, but might be a lot of code to port. ARC's technique of
>> rewriting SPARQL to MySQL might be quicker to get started with.
>

> Wonder if an sql view could make bengee-schema look like Trine-schema,
> or we should choose upfront...

Just to clarify, the "Trine-schema" is actually Redland's mysql schema. Compatibility with Redland was an early use case (although named-graph handling in RDF::Trine has recently diverged from the way Redland works). I don't know much about ARC's schema, but I would guess that a SQL view wouldn't be able to bridge the two, at least not for supporting update operations. Redland's schema uses a node lookup table that relies on an MD5-based node hashing instead of, say, an auto incrementing integer ID.

.greg