[foaf-dev] comparing wot against FOAF+SSL

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Mon Mar 22 13:45:55 CET 2010

Peter Williams wrote:
> Ok I translated it into English in the article, taking heed of what you say. (it took me 3 years to learn how to read RDF/XML, admittedly, but now it's EASY - even natural).
>
> I don't feel happy to translate that particular piece of historical material into N3, as the (WOT document) source has the XMlish format of its era.
You can leave the WOT stuff as is, to some degree it accentuates some
vital historic points (which include its RDF/XML based representation).
> I'd be interfering with "history", amending the timeline in violation of some fictional law, and undermining one of my own points - were I to translate, technically.
I agree.
> (That the wot was/is not part of the linked data world's assumption set is a comparison point- contrasting with the more pedantic and prescriptive FOAF+SSL -- which tied strictly to linked data axioms for its identity model).

Yes.

But you could make translations for readability, and to some degree use
the translation to accentuate the historic aspects of your post i.e.,
things have changed across a range of dimensions:

1. Resolvable Names/Identifiers
2. Human Friendly Markup/Syntax.
> I didn't say it, but Ill guess that a combination of both assumption sets will induce mass adoption (as security will mean that not everything about linked data will be acceptable for risk managers). We need to avoid what killed  X.500 / ldap over the last 20 years (even once politics was solved, nobody was EVEN WILLING to publish their customer/corporate user profiles, regardless of what bitformat folks stuffed it into).

The Enterprise and Individual boundaries are blurring. LinkedIn has a
business model based on your comments above from the business aspect.
Ditto Facebook re. individual aspect. As you know, changes occur as a
function of opportunity cost realization and thresholds. Once people
feel pain they look for alternatives. Without this pain (necessity),
innovation doesn't morph into real products/solutions.

FOAF+SSL is an innovation, and the opportunity costs are crystallizing
as a result of LinkedIn, Facebook, and to some degree Google. In all
cases, these walled garden builders are our very best friends -- while
they continue to mangle the private/public user data handling conundrum :-)

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen