[foaf-dev] Some proposals

Bob Ferris zazi at elbklang.net
Tue May 11 11:53:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have some proposals to the FOAF Ontology:

1. A new Property called foaf:businessCard to link a business card, e.g.
of rdf:type vcard:VCard, to a FOAF profile. Currently, there only exist
a property ov:businessCard at the Openvoc specification.

2. This one is originally a Music Ontology proposal:

It deals about some changes in how to handle the modelling of linking a
Concept, e.g. foaf:agent, mo:Track, mo:Record, mo:MusicArtist, to a
related website of a information/music service.
Here is my proposal:
- introduce a new class, e.g. foaf:InfoService
- define known services as Individual of this class, e.g. for Wikipedia,
MySpace, MusicBrainz, Amazon, Discogs, Last.fm, Pandora, Spotify, BBC,
..., maybe also with a link to the service homepage (similar to
foaf:accountServiceHomepage or just use foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf)
- introduce a new property, e.g. foaf:info_service
- link the foaf:Document typed service link to your concept instance

example:

@prefix mo: <http://purl.org/ontology/mo/> .
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

mo:musicbrainz a foaf:InfoService ;
mo:musicbrainz foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf <http://musicbrainz.org/> ;
mo:musicbrainz dc:title 'musicbrainz'^^xsd:string ;
mo:musicbrainz dc:description 'An open content music database'^^xsd:string .

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/c970c5cd-facf-4c49-babf-a5b688c1ec40#artist>
a mo:MusicArtist ;
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/c970c5cd-facf-4c49-babf-a5b688c1ec40#artist>
foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf
<http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8a1fe33d-6029-462e-bcb7-08e0ebaba6dd.html> .

<http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8a1fe33d-6029-462e-bcb7-08e0ebaba6dd.html> a
foaf:Document ;
<http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8a1fe33d-6029-462e-bcb7-08e0ebaba6dd.html> foaf:info_service
mo:musicbrainz .

This should substitute properties, e.g. mo:myspace, mo:musicmoz,
mo:musicbrainz, mo:amazon_asin, mo:discogs, mo:wikipedia and gives also
the opportunity to annotate other services, eg. Last.fm, Pandora,
Spotify, EchoNest, ...

it is a bit more complex, but it gives the user the opportunity to
define own foaf:InfoService instances.
Maybe this can also be done in a similar way with the definition of the
diferent IMS ids (icqChatID, yahooChatID, msnChatID, skypeID, aimChatID,
jabberID, ...).

3. About foaf:Image:

In the documentation this Concept is marked as a subclass of
foaf:Document, in the specification it no subclass of foaf:Document. I
would define it as a subclass of foaf:Document. Why not also extend the
domain of foaf:img to foaf:Agent?

4. Linking to Contact Ontology
(http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/contact#):

Currently, foaf:Person is a subclass of con:Person. I would suggest to
make foaf:Agent a subclass of con:SocialEntity, because their
definitions are somehow equal.

Cheers,

Bob