[foaf-dev] FOAF ping pong, with signed endorsements

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Mon May 31 09:57:00 CEST 2010

On 31 May 2010, at 00:31, Peter Williams wrote:

> Let's go more slowly. Let's start with the non-semweb stuff.
>
> Being my usual ignorant self, your email and associated resources taught me just how current trackbacks work! Until today, I didn't know that target blog entries and their HTTP responses might advertise the location of the post author's ping back server (and its xml-rpc endpoint); and I didn't know that xml-rpc was the method of effecting the communications...

Yes, xml-rpc was clearly overly complicated for something that can be accomplished with somehting as simple and widespread as HTML form - which is what the semantic pingback:to relation points to. This clearly shows that the xml/rpc movement (and then SOAP) was the attempt by procedural programmers to make the declarative web fit into their way of thinking.

> What I need now is to identify if in reality there are public services which will trace a _sequence_ of trackbacks, once a sequence of pingbacks have done their job. That is, if peter posts to peter's site a blog entry adding some value to one of Henrys own posts on henry's blog site (at which point pingback/trackback records fly), and sam post further value on peters missive (qualifying henry post, if we recall, and at which point pingbacks/trackbacks further fly between sam and peter's agents), I need a pointer to a site that will calculate, given source sam and target Henry: Henry<peter<sam>>>.

I think you should ask the SIOC (Semantically Interlinked Online Communities) group.

    http://sioc-project.org/

That is exactly what their ontology is good for. I should probably send the info about pingback to them too.

> Assuming that some service can calculate the 2 hop path from sam to henry (via peter) using a crawling of public comments bearing the trackbacks all focusing on an original source topic post, I want to be able to refer to that specific "path document" by persistent URI.

They define the class sioc:Post, sioc:Thread, etc...

> Ideally, the document would be an atom-formatted doc, representing a sequence of URI starting with the sam's blogroll URI, ending with Henry's blogroll URI, and bearing each intermediary participating in a commenting and re-commenting chain (i.e. Peter's blogroll URI).

Why Atom formatted? I never understood why some people want to shoehorn everything into atom....

> Then, I (peter) want to sign that atom doc, putting my wot:endorsement on my own site. It would link to the atom doc, rather than embed it in the endorsement. My site may cache the atom doc, too (lest it disappear from the source). It may also cache the foaf cards of all those whose URI/webis are found in signed endorsements of "path docs".
>
> If I can believe that the guts of the above is a reality on mass scale, then I see the value of translating it all into the semweb way of doing the same thing (tracing multiple-hops of following relations, now, rather than tracing blog commenting trackbacks).

Yes, the pinging is useful to create links that can then update these descriptions. I don't see why it would not work. It is a question of getting adoption as usual, whatever you do, and there it helps to have something that is open to easy extension.

Henry