[foaf-dev] FOAF ping pong, with signed endorsements

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Mon May 31 12:19:03 CEST 2010

Why atom? Mostly because it makes adoption easy, in the windows world. (.NETv3.5 and .NET v4 in particular with its finished tooling project atompub as the universal engineering tool for layer 7 data access/management, much as .NET1 and .NET v2 projected XML and functional transforms as a universal tool for layer 6 protocols supporting the layer 6/7 boundary between comms stacks and app layers).

Just as xml was touted as the ultimate presentation modeling language that
could express arbitrary document and message paradigms (once you the web engineer specified your tagging namespace,  thereby formulated your own domain language, and finally specified the functional transforms for producing xhtml), so atom/pub is touted as a general method of _syndicating_ lists of entities and their urirefs. One application is agent-based syndication of blog post and comment entities and their urirefs.

To get adoption, reuse what works...and tunnel. Folks use of http is not necessarily because it's so wonderful; it is because its firewall port is already open, and thus it's easy to adopt one's new http-tunneled protocol! The same goes for https!

Anyways, if one want a return a recordset in the "web architecture", the atompub wrapper is the reusable 'recordset' collection-entity of the day. If one is writing event-driven applications (vs procedural code), it drives data mapping and data binding between engineering tiers much as higher-end programmers have done in windows world for 20+ years, with the presentation layer auto-binding presentation controls to data entities/values in particular. It's a nice recordset generic, as one's own recordset now inherits all the syndication capabilities showcased in the web2.0 computing paradigm.

If I'd said, return an rdf graph of urirefs (rather than an atompub document), Id have had to either argue with folks endlessly the logical appropriatness of rdfs own support for the notion of seq, else learn the sioc vocab for expressing order. In either case, it would be like forcing myself to use peano arithmetic to add 1234 to 94525 (which any 11 year can do in about 9 easy steps...) or convert the denary to hex so I can use galois field efficiencies when first representing each number as a polynomial...

Perhaps Im being unfair to sioc, being ignorant. Perhaps its perfect for those "recordsets" that are ordered lists of urirefs- capturing the semantics of traversing following and similar relations. Perhaps sioc gives me what I REALLY want - a well-engineering language for traversing people spaces, as they socially network.

We have to be careful with semweb - since it's a new computing and design paradigm. I paid a prolog expert in semweb to play-convert realty's object-centric metadata into semweb ontologies (on the fly). The owl reasoner was working fine until a simple value structure of 200 instances of 1-2000 sized lookup tables in sql (200 enum values, basically) broke the implementation. 3 days later, the von neumann computer was still paging away doing list expansion according to owl rules...

Therefore atompub: the shoehorning of the 1980s sql tabular data stream into/onto the web.