[foaf-dev] FOAF site - unscheduled downtime

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Fri Sep 17 15:32:59 CEST 2010

  On 9/17/10 9:29 AM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 17 Sep 2010, at 13:02, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> Just WebID enable it. By the time spammers catch onto WebID you'll
>>> have a couple of years of peace :-)
>>>
>>> Henry
>>>
>>> Social Web Architect
>>>
>>> http://bblfish.net/
>>>
>> Henry,
>>
>> I don't think spammers can really do anything about WebID. I need an example of how they could thwart it etc..
> Well I mean that initially one could just allow people access who have a WebID, without even
> looking at their Social Network. If they have a WebID at this point, and for the next year or
> so you are guaranteed that they are intelligent and ahead of their time, which spammers tend
> not to be.
>
> At that point adding policies will of course be necessary, and should in fact be developed
> before.
>
>> My mission is to kill SPAM, completely, so I am eager to be presented with scenarios Spammers could exploit. Note, I assume a world where policies complement WebID .
> Completely agree: you need policies to complement WebID as it at it's core only gives you a URI.
> But at least you have that URI securely, and reliably.

Yes, I am completing tests re. killing email spam using WebID, and I am
having a lot of fun with very good results :-)

Basically, I can apply trust factors to my filters starting with the
most basic: is this Identity verifiable via WebID.

The only challenge is a use pattern that makes everyone get a WebID with
email signing in mind etc..

Mechanically, and already proven in my tests, this is one severe blow
for Spam-Kind :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen