[foaf-dev] Stereotype modelling

Bob Ferris zazi at elbklang.net
Tue Sep 21 10:18:47 CEST 2010

Hi,

I struggled recently with adaptable stereotype modelling. That means, I
would like to use predefined stereotype settings to initialize a user
profile (as also proposed here [1]). However, after that initialisation
process, the user should be able to refine these settings to a certain
(this should also depend on her/his "computer skills"). Furthermore, it
should later also be possible to create stereotypes (clusters) on the
user behaviour through user profile analysis.
Currently, I found the property foaf:membershipClass[2], which might be
userful for that use case. Because, initially I also thought about
creating sub classes of foaf:Person, which consists of some
owl:Restriction instances. Furthermore, it might then be useful to
connect these stereotype class definitions to some SKOS concepts. The
concepts of the specific SKOS taxonomy can later probably be used, when
the user adapted the user profile setting. However, one might to keep
somehow the relation to initial stereotyp (something like: "this profile
is still similar to a certain degree to stereotype X").
Furthermore, do you think, that it is necessary to introduce a new class
for stereotypes on general?
Generally, one can create for every stereotype category different
taxonomies, that means, e.g. several for "music listening type", several
for "music knowledge type" and several for "computer skills type". For
my project, I would then apply an exemplified taxonomy for each
stereotype category. However, this stereotype category taxonomy mustn't
be the optimal one.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Bob