[foaf-dev] foaf validator

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Aug 6 02:13:29 CEST 2011

On 11-08-06 at 12:18am, Mischa Tuffield wrote:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> On 5 Aug 2011, at 19:08, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I tried validating my own FOAF file:
> >
> > http://foaf.qdos.com/validator/uri?URI=http://dr.jones.dk/me/index.rdf
> >
> > I am puzzled about the results - seems to me that the warnings for
> > tests 1-3 is bogus as those allegedly missing declarations indeed
> > exist in my file.  Or am I composing my FOAF data wrongly?

> when you parse http://dr.jones.dk/me/index.rdf none of the triples in
> the document talk about the URI which the document was fetched from.
> So yeah your foaf document has an rdf:type
> foaf:PersonalProfileDocument triple, but the subject of that tripe is
> <http://dr.jones.dk/me/> due to the use of :
>
> xml:base="http://dr.jones.dk/me/" in your rdf:xml

Ah.  Thanks!

I have fought for a long time to both support content-negotiation and
serve RDF as nice directory URLs rather than exposing the ugly
extension.  I use Apache2 but haven't figured out how to make it rank
RDF higher than GPG sigs.

> FWIW, I believe the validator was only giving off "Warnings" not
> errors.

Yes.  I strive for perfection, and thus want also warnings fixed. :-)

> > My FOAF file was generated from http://dr.jones.dk/me/index.ttl
> > using mkfoaf.sh available below http://dr.jones.dk/foaf/ .
>
> yay to ttl :) I will have a look at mkfoaf.sh at some point ...

There is not much to the script, actually.  The other scripts in same
dir might be more interesting ;-)

Took me some time to find a method that works both ways: I can generate
RDF and from the RDF generate the exact same Turtle file.  Added that
reverse script now as well: rdf2turtle.sh

Oh, btw: I thought I'd done the WoT setup properly using GPG signing.
What am I missing there to be "compliant" with your validator?

> Am liking your arabic foaf:nick,
> يونس
> In Farsi we have a sound closer to the english "Je" than the arabic
> "You" sounding letter at the start of the foaf:nick, you could also
> add a:
>
> <foaf:nick>جنس</foaf:nick>

Great. Added now!

> Otherwise it all looks good, /me waves and says thanks in public for
> all the debian stuff you have been doing, THANK YOU!

Thanks for the kind words.

> Mischa *goes back to watching "Walking Dead" ...

Hmm - didn't know that one.  Seems interesting!

 - Jonas