[foaf-dev] Fwd: Re: [pedantic-web] Pedantic Web Challenge 2011 [Winner = Antoine Zimmermann]

Toby Inkster tai at g5n.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 17:36:53 CET 2011

Richar Cyganiak wrote:
> First, identi.ca doesn't seem to discourage organizations to have
> accounts, but foaf:knows assumes that it would only be persons.
>
> Second, following someone on identi.ca does not imply “reciprocated
> interaction” -- there are probably users that are followed by
> thousands of other users, and it's very unlikely they have interacted
> with all of them!

The first point is fair criticism.

The second, however, seems to be based on an incorrect assumption that
if one identi.ca user subscribes to another, identi.ca automatically
publishes a triple stating that the users foaf:knows each other.

But that's not the case. The foaf:knows triple is only added if *both*
users are subscribed to each other. This does imply “reciprocated
interaction” (or at least it does in my view). If you take a look at,
say, http://identi.ca/tobyink/foaf, you'll see the triple:

</user/36737#acct> sioc:follows </user/39252#acct> .

But nowhere will you find:

</user/36737> foaf:knows </user/39252> .

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>