[foaf-dev] OCAS Challenge
Alexander Garcia Castro
alexgarciac at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 05:54:17 CEST 2011
For more information please visit us at:
OCAS can be summarized in a simple sentence, “Ontologies and Semantic Web
technology come of age, how is the Semantic Web changing our experience of
the Web?” Moving beyond theoretical frameworks and heading towards a
significant impact in end user experience is at the core of OCAS. The
overall objective of the challenge is to illustrate how ontologies and SW
technologies are delivering novel user experiences.
First place: US$ 2000
Second place: US$ 1000
Three third prizes of $500 each
Selected projects will be funded through implementation by Protech Solutions
Projects are to focus on innovative uses of HPC and data mining in semantic
technologies for HealthCare, Medical Informatics and Computer Security.
Projects with high relevance to social networking, low-tech environments,
and third-world countries are encouraged.
Those participating in the challenge should provide a three-page
manuscript describing their software; from the manuscript it should be clear
- Software availability: judges and general public should be able to
access the software. In most cases this means that the software, ontologies
and/or infrastructure is freely accessible -free software is not compulsory.
- Semantic Web technology: how is this application making use of semantic
web technology? How is this application making use of existing
infrastructure? Data sources being used, etc.
- How is it delivering new layers of functionality based on semantic data
sources (linked data, RDF stores, ontologies, etc).
- How is it delivering an intelligent interconnected experience to the
- What is the added value?
- How is the *Interconnectedness* of semantic data sets being delivered
to the end user?
- How are intelligence and interconnectivity being supported by
the software or infrastructure?
- Does the software or infrastructure represent a fundamental change
for the domain rather than just an incremental improvement or just one of
many added new features?
We would like to have applications from all domains. The GC is not limited
to web based applications, mobile platforms for devices like iPAD, iphone,
Galaxy, XOOM, HTC, etc are also accepted –strongly encouraged. Authors
submitting to other Challenges, workshops and conferences are welcome to
also submit their work to the OCAS challenge.
For those who require high performance computing facilities our sponsor,
http://protechsolutions.com/, will make them available free of charge.
Submission should be via Easychair
* All papers submitted for the OCAS
be formatted according to the LNCS
- Paper submission deadline: August 15
- Notification of acceptance or rejection: September 5
- Camera ready version due: September 16
Judging the Challenge:
Oscar Corcho, Ontology Engineering Group (OEG), UPM, Madrid, Spain
Pascal Hitzler, Dept. of Computer Science, Wright State University, Dayton,
Alexander Garcia, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, USA.
Fabio Ciravegna, University of Sheffield, UK
Michelle Dumontier, Carleton University, Canada
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the foaf-dev