[foaf-dev] Creating and Editing FOAF and related Vocab files

Bruce Whealton bruce at whealton.info
Sun Jun 12 07:53:38 CEST 2011

Hello,
        I was reading the threads on  Editing the FOAF files and making it
easy for non-technical people to do this.  It actually started back in May
with Frans Knibbe asking how to edit FOAF profiles.  I think this is very
important for the Semantic Web to become what it can become.  We must have
tools for the average folks, not technical folks, to create and edit their
profiles.  And we have to sell them on why this is important.  I could use
help with that.
          My idea was to use either or both of Drupal and MediaWiki with the
Semantic MediaWiki Bundle (SMW).  Using the latter one can setup templates
that apply what SMW calls annotations, which are properties.  The
article/page would be the subject of all such properties.  Somewhat
similarly one could use Drupal 7 and create content types that are setup to
link form fields with certain properties.  In both cases the doesn't have to
think about RDF files and what they mean.  It would be the end result of
what they are doing.
           What I am unsure of is this.  Drupal 7 and perhaps MediaWiki are
creating RDFa files when they do this.  I haven't figured out how to ask
this right when I've approached the question in other places, but with RDFa
being XHTML files, is that going to work as is?  Or do we need to export
these content items as RDF which I think both applications will do.  The
question is, assuming we do need RDF and not RDFa, can this export of
content as RDF be done automatically?
          I've also found it interesting to expand to using other related
vocabularies like BIO for biographic information, or DOAC (description of a
Career).  I'm not sure if I should publish separate rdf files or just one
that has many different namespaces.  Sure, one might say that it depends on
the application but from the standpoint of contributing to the Semantic Web,
the web of data, if crawlers and navigators are looking for files with the
name foaf.rdf then creating files with different names may not contribute to
an understanding of how many foaf files are out there and it may not be
helpful if people are looking specifically for foaf.rdf files.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bruce