[foaf-dev] How to let the world know my profile?

Frans Knibbe frans.knibbe at geodan.nl
Wed Jun 15 14:39:39 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-15 11:51, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 11:29 +0200, Frans Knibbe wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have created a FOAF profile for myself and I have put it online. It is
>> hosted by one of my company's web servers. I am currently trying to
>> persuade my colleagues to publish FOAF profiles for themselves too.
>>
>> I now wonder: How can I firmly place my profile data in the web of
>> linked data? I have just registered my URI at www.foaf-search.net. Would
>> that be sufficient to make my personal data discoverable from all places
>> on the web? Or is it wise to register at other places too?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frans

> Hi Frans,
>
> Best starting point in my opinion is to make sure that you have a
> relationship between your FOAF URI and another e.g., foaf:knows. This
> way, your URI is connected to other graphs, and opens up possibilities
> for discovery.
>
> Submitting a URI to a service is a centralized approach and it is one
> aspect to being discovered.
>
> There are many places to submit, so, I'll just give one of my
> favourites ;) Sindice [1]. See also the Inspector tool. I may be
> mistaken about this, but I think it eventually crawls new URIs once you
> inspect.
>
> [1] http://sindice.com/
>
> -Sarven
Hello Sarven,

Thanks. I get the point about linking to other sources, but I am afraid
that at the moment the only person with a FOAF profile that I know is
me. A while ago I did ask all my 'friends' on Facebook if they had a
FOAF profile. Not one of them even understood the question :-)

Regards,
Frans