[foaf-dev] How to let the world know my profile?

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Thu Jun 16 13:00:03 CEST 2011

On 6/16/11 9:47 AM, Bruce Whealton wrote:
> Thanks.  That is useful.  I will use that for all the services I use.
> Interestingly it lets me put in my existing foaf profile.  Seems a bit
> recursive.  I'd be adding to my foaf profile with this information, to
> add my friends from facebook and Flickr, and LinkedIn.

You are adding data to a specific data space. For OAuth based services,
having your friends pass their profile pages through this service
results in them opening up the depths of their graphs too, otherwise, we
have a shallow linked data graph relative to all the data potentially
available.

If you had a personal instance, which you can get in a variety of ways,
you can just make your own variant for your specific needs. Fundamental
goal is to take tedium out of Linked Data generation, and by that I mean
6-Star Linked Data which means delivery of Linked Data without format
specificity i.e., user agents can work with a very wide range of Linked
Data resource formats.

> Is it permissible to mix different forms of RDF within the same document?
It isn't a syntax matter. Its about triples (3-tuples and URIs). Thus,
for a given document format though, its best you use what options that
format offers you re. embedding of structured data in the form of linked
data graphs. For example, re. HTML use RDFa or Microdata.

> For example RDF/XML and the format that you use below.  I didn't learn
> all the names yet of the different formats, even though there are only
> a couple important ones.  So far, the xml format is easiest for me to
> read and understand but that might sound strange.

Yes, it sounds strange, but always stick with what works best for you
based on your skill set etc.. You can use the RDF/XML from sponger.

> I could try to use the format that you use and see if it validates.

Yes, always check that it validates before using it.

Kingsley