[foaf-dev] FOAF for online profiles/accounts

Michael Haschke haschek at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 16 19:13:24 CEST 2011

Hi Bruce,

2011/6/16 Bruce Whealton <bruce at whealton.info>:

> This is very helpful.  I noticed you said that the FOAF spec suggests using
> the alias foaf:account instead of foaf:holdsAccount, but you used the
> latter.

I just copied the example from my own foaf profile what is way older
than the foaf:account/foaf:holdsAccount changes in the foaf spec :)

> Also, will foaf:account cover both foaf:holdsAccount and
> foaf:onlineAccount?

Both, foaf:account and foaf:holdsAccount are object properties what
you can use as predicate to relate a subject (e.g. your foaf:Person
resource) and a object (e.g. the foaf:OnlineAccount resource).
foaf:account is a new alias for foaf:holdsAccount, and the foaf spec
defines it as "archaic" [1], kind of deprecated. The spec suggests to
use foaf:account now and in future.

foaf:onlineAccount does not exist, but foaf:OnlineAccount does and is
an OWL class [2], what you can use as resource type for your
resources. Classes and properties are completely different stuff. That
means you cannot use foaf:account as alias for foaf:OnlineAccount.

> I'm curious, why do you use dc:title and dc:Description twice below in your
> currentProject section?

No, but maybe the inlined bnodes lead to this impression. The first
dc:title/description is for the foaf:Project resource, the second is
for the RSS feed what is related to the project.

> And if I wanted to relate my pages on facebook to my foaf:account, I would
> nest that sioc:creator_of tag inside the foaf:OnlineAccount, correct?

Again, foaf:account is "only" the property to describe a relation
between your foaf:Person resource and your foaf:OnlineAccount
resource. And yes, use sioc:creator_of nested inside your
foaf:OnlineAccount description (using rdf/xml). I do not know what is
the best URI to use for the Facebook page, maybe there is also a graph
URI with json output like for persons/users, then I would suggest to
use that.

[1] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_holdsAccount
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Class

regards,