[foaf-dev] Expressing twitter account name in triples

Bob Ferris zazi at elbklang.net
Fri Jun 17 16:14:29 CEST 2011

Hello everybody,

On 6/17/2011 3:33 PM, Michael Haschke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2011/6/17 Alexander Gödde<alexander.goedde at tavendo.de>
>
>> First of all: when is “foaf:twitterID” going to be added to the vocabulary? The model for this is clear from predicates such as “foaf:skypeID”, and twitter by now has reached an importance comparable to the chat or messaging services that predicates are provided for in the vocabulary.
>
> No, please do not blow up the foaf spec with properties and classes
> for all individual services! I would prefer universally usable
> concepts. We already have foaf:account and foaf:OnlineAccount :)

Yes, definitely +1

I would instead vote for deprecating service-specific properties and
force the usage of universal ones (e.g. as the modelling example from
Michael below).
One can address a service separately in such a description, e.g., with
the help of is:info_service [1] property of the Info Service Ontology
(which is intended to describe and rate etc. (web) information services).
Of course, utilising a direct binary relation to address that a specific
ID is related to a specific service would simply on a first view the
modelling somehow; however, this is not durable at all. Today Twitter is
very popular. In 5 or 10 years we probably will use other social
services. An ontology should be designed in such a way that it is
durable (like the Web itself).

>> Not only is this extremely verbose to express a by now everyday data item, but I also have a problem when flattening it out to triples. I can only do this using blank nodes, which I always find ugly. Any known workaround for this?
>
> No, you could even use IDs or resource URIs:
>
> <foaf:Person rdfs:about="#you">
>    <foaf:account rdfs:resource="#yourtwitter"/>
> </foaf:Person>
> <foaf:OnlineAccount rdfs:about="#yourtwitter">
>    <!-- describe it here -->
> </foaf:OnlineAccount>

Cheers,

Bob