[foaf-dev] Linking foaf and other rdf documents/resources

Mischa Tuffield mischa.tuffield at garlik.com
Wed Jun 29 18:22:53 CEST 2011

Hi Bruce,

<snip/>

On 29 Jun 2011, at 17:10, Bruce Whealton wrote:

> Thanks Matthew.  This relates to my question regarding Mischa’s response where I asked what exactly is the meaning of the use of the hash symbol in references, for example:
> #me or #BruceWhealton like this:
> http://brucewhealton.us/BruceWhealton/foaf.rdf#me or
> http://brucewhealton.us/BruceWhealton/foaf.rdf#BruceWhealton

<http://example.com/foaf> a foaf:Document .
<http://example.com/foaf> foaf:primaryTopic <http://example.com/foaf#bruce> .
<http://example.com/foaf#bruce> a foaf:Person .

By using a hash fragment above one is creating a new URI for the foaf:Person, so that when some grabs the document on the web describing you, e.g. http://example.com/foaf, they know that http://example.com/foaf is the URI for the document which describes you, and http://example.com/foaf#bruce is the URI which represents you.

This allows one to make statements about you the foaf:Person and about the document which has facts about you the foaf:PersonalProfileDocument.

Basically you are making two URIs one for YOU and one for the DOCUMENT which describes you. <http://example.com/foaf> != <http://example.com/foaf#bruce> .

> yes the latter is getting redundant in the use of my name.  I had put different FOAF files in folders that match their name.  That way I can name all the FOAF files as foaf.rdf
> So, the file about my wife is here:
> http://brucewhealton.us/ElnazWhealton/foaf.rdf

There is nothing stopping you from creating URI for lots of people in one file :

http://example.com/foaf#bruce
http://example.com/foaf#alice
http://example.com/foaf#bob

> It also occurred to me, regarding what Mischa was saying about unambiguously referring to a person by adding an email address that if one were referring to historical persons, or one’s ancestors using
> FOAF and other vocabularies, they don’t have email addresses.  So, I cannot distinguish between my grandfather and my great-great grandfather, who both had the same name, using an email address.  If they are both in the same RDF file, I believe I would need to use a nodeID on a foaf:Person container to uniquely refer to each of them.  Does that make sense?

Sure, if you don't have any unique identifiers for the people, you can mint them their own URIs so that you can identify them unambiguously, see above ^^

Mischa