[foaf-dev] No name for agents or groups?

Bob Ferris zazi at elbklang.net
Sat Mar 5 18:00:19 CET 2011

Hi Henry,

Am 05.03.2011 17:30, schrieb Henry Story:

> On 5 Mar 2011, at 17:22, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
>> On 5 March 2011 17:15, Henry Story<henry.story at bblfish.net>  wrote:
>>> I was looking at the definition of foaf:Agent again. I was surprised the there is no name relation for Agents or groups. It seems to me that all agents should be able to have human readable names.
>>
>> foaf:name ?
>>
>> http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_name
>
> Thanks. The mistake I made was to look for it on the foaf:Agent class. Perhaps foaf:Agent should state that it is a subclass of rdf:Resource, so that one has a hint to look there.

I don't see a subclass relation of foaf:Agent to rdf:Resource. It's
simply the case that when one uses foaf:name, a reasoning engine can
infer that the domain of that property is owl:Thing. So, e.g.,

:me a foaf:Agent ;
    foaf:name "me .

can be used to infer

:me a owl:Thing .

Please remember, the things in an ontology are often somehow loosely
coupled.

Cheers,

Bob