[foaf-dev] What is the best way to edit a FOAF profile?

Mischa Tuffield mischa.tuffield at garlik.com
Wed May 4 13:48:56 CEST 2011

Hi All,

<snip/>

On 4 May 2011, at 12:15, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 4 May 2011 13:09, Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe at geodan.nl> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is my first message to this list...
>>
>> I am just getting started with FOAF, using it as an example of how
>> individuals can contribute to the web of Linked Data. I would like to
>> persuade the people that I know to publish their profiles. So I am
>> trying to find a user friendly way of creating a FOAF  profile and
>> updating it.
>>
>> As a first step, I use the FOAF-a-Matic. That works nicely, giving me a
>> small profile to start with. But then I want to expand it. I want to
>> share more information about myself, and link to people I know that also
>> have a FOAF profile. That means I need an editor for my FOAF file. I
>> have tried Morla, which does a good job of being user friendly. It shows
>> the file contents as a table of subject-predicate-object triples. I can
>> add the FOAF RDFS to the editor, after which it becomes easy to add or
>> change the profile. But I notice a problem with Morla: it introduces
>> absolute file paths in the file. By just opening the FOAF file and
>> saving it without editing it, Morla has introduced file:/// resources. I
>> believe that is undesirable.
>>
>> So my question is: Can someone recommend a nice tool for editing FOAF files?
>
> SPARQL 1.1 has insert an update ability.  That's probably the best way.
>
> There's also WebDAV

I too am a big fan of SPARQL 1.1, but I doubt that is the solution here. We wrote a UI to help you do such things, but we are currently moving hardware about to repurpose. It should live at http://foafbuilder.qdos.com/ I will email this thread when I get the service back up and running. Link to slides [1] (sorry -- service is currently down).

Furthermore, I have been meaning to open-source the UI for a while now.... Must get that done...

iirc, Melvin's http://foaf.me/

and there is also a foaf editor in the Timbl's tabulator iirc too ...

Mischa

[1] http://mmt.me.uk/slides/lod24022010/ <-- to get an idea what what i looks like, when there is no man-digging page :)