[foaf-dev] New FOAF properties

Bob Ferris zazi at smiy.org
Tue Sep 6 13:05:20 CEST 2011

Hi Bruce,

On 9/6/2011 12:28 PM, Bruce Whealton wrote:
> Hello,
>             I was looking at how some folks are using FOAF on Semantic
> MediaWiki sites and found some properties that are not on the spec, even
> listed as experimental or testing.  Some others I've seen but I'm unclear in
> reading the spec how to use the class or property.
> We have class foaf:Image which is used with thumbnail, depiction or img.
> So, which should one use, img, or depiction or thumbnail?  I can see the
> difference between thumbnail and the other two but I'm not sure when to use
> img versus depiction.

The difference between foaf:img and foaf:depiction is that
foaf:depiction (owl:Thing) has a broader domain than foaf:img
(foaf:Person), i.e., the subject of an RDF statement that utilises one
of these properties as predicate has at least the type that is defined
via the domain of the property definition.

> Oh, and there is also logo which I guess would be
> more related to a business.
>           Next with the deprecation of holdsAccount and it being replaced
> with account.  Can someone demonstrate the structure of how this would be
> used with a facebook  or delicious account - presenting it in RDF/XML.  For
> example, I have the following for my delicious account.
> <foaf:holdsAccount>
>    <foaf:OnlineAccount>
>       <foaf:accountServiceHomepage rdf:resource="http://del.icio.us"/>
>       <foaf:accountName>brucewhealton2</foaf:accountName>
>
>    </foaf:OnlineAccount>
> </foaf:holdsAccount>
> To change that to use<foaf:account>  do I just remove foaf:holdsAccount and
> foaf:OnlineAccount, and nest the next two lines inside<foaf:account>  like
> this:
> <foaf:account>
> <foaf:accountServiceHomepage rdf:resource="http://del.icio.us"/>
> <foaf:accountName>brucewhealton2</foaf:accountName>
> </foaf:account>

Yep, I guess, this was more or less only a re-naming issues, i.e., a
simple replacement is enough here.

> Continuing... foaf:Class, I don't see that.

AFAIK, there is no such universal foaf:Class. I'm aware of rdfs:Class
and owl:Class. Maybe this is a typo error.

> foaf:interest and foaf:topic_interest - what’s the difference?

This was already clarified via Keith's response.

> foaf:made versus foaf:webpage,

There exist no such property foaf:webpage. There only is foaf:page [1].
Generally, I think that both properties are well defined in their usage,
or? (they are not really controversial to each other)

> foaf:weblog,

Is to relate an agent's weblog.

> and it's use with foaf:Project?

foaf:Project shouldn't be utilised in an RDF statement that has
foaf:weblog as predicate, since this universal is disjoint to
foaf:Person and foaf:Document.

> surname vs family_name?

Both are marked as 'archaic', please utilise foaf:familyName instead.

> That should be it.
>
> Has anyone used the cv vocabulary for resumes?  It is interesting that it
> doesn't setup a cv or resume as a property of the person.  So, while the
> vocab has a reference to foaf, there is no statement about how to match up a
> foaf:Person with a CV.

My problem with the modelling of the CV vocabulary is that one relates
the skills, experiences etc. one has to the CV resource. From my point
of view, they should be directly related to the foaf:Person resource. I
tried to realise this modelling with the help of the Cognitive
Characteristics Ontology [2].
An application that utilises the CV vocabulary (AFAIK) is, e.g.,
Foafpress [3].

Cheers,

Bo

[1] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_page