[foaf-dev] [foaf-protocols] Person <-> Group (+sub/related groups) relations...

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Sun Sep 25 11:06:41 CEST 2011

Btw this is more of a question for the foaf-dev at lists.foaf-project.org as they deal with questions on ontology, syntax and the declarative aspects of just writing things down. foaf-protocols is more about the interaction between sites using foaf.

On 25 Sep 2011, at 10:23, elf Pavlik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I work more and more with sites for online communities, recently I look how to take advantage of FOAF for representing structure of membership in groups and subgroups plus relation between groups/sub.
>
> Looking at it from perspective of seeing various profiles, in a group profile it seams easy to include list of participants with foaf:member property of a group. But other scenarios I see getting more complicated:
>
> On profile page of a person I would like to include list of groups this person participates in. In the mailing list archives I came across two mails talking on this topic (guessing could find more digging deeper...)
>
> http://markmail.org/message/5pz7wxhgdbgtzei7?q=foaf+group+person&page=2#query:foaf%20group%20person+page:2+mid:jmdmi7ql3ptcmggk+state:results
> where Dan Brickley proposes solution like:
> <foaf:Person rdf:about="#me">
>  <foaf:name>John Doe</foaf:name>
> </foaf:Person>
> <foaf:Group rdf:about="#group1">
>  <member rdf:resource="#me">
> </foaf:Person> (typo:  s/Person/Group)
>
> plus RDFa XHTML exmaples
>
> IMHO stating membership in lets say 100 groups may look quite awkward using this pattern, but machine shouldn't care much ;)
>
> in second mail: http://markmail.org/message/jjm5x4y4tbdc5eom?q=foaf+group+person&page=3#query:foaf%20group%20person+page:3+mid:jjm5x4y4tbdc5eom+state:results
> Henry Story suggests:
>
> "Why not just use foaf:member ? In N3 and rdfa writing the inverse relation is
> easy. In N3 it is
>
> person is foaf:member of group .
>
> in rdf you use the rev= attribute. Better use these syntactic tricks that keep
> inventing inverse relations for everything."

Let write in N3
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/

$ cwm --n3 --ntriples
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .

<#me> is foaf:member of <#g1>, <#g2>, <#g3> .

^D

    <file:///Users/hjs/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11/#g1>     <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/member> <file:///Users/hjs/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11/#me> .

    <file:///Users/hjs/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11/#g2>     <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/member> <file:///Users/hjs/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11/#me> .

    <file:///Users/hjs/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11/#g3>     <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/member> <file:///Users/hjs/Library/Application Support/IdeaIC11/#me> .

See @rev on
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#sec_6.3.2.

> Going further how could I state relations between groups? Very often in group profile it has related groups and subgroups as for example this one (sidebar): https://n-1.cc/pg/groups/7826/lorea/

that would certainly be the question to put to foaf-dev.