[foaf-dev] Proposal: :bitcoin

Mischa Tuffield mischa.tuffield at garlik.com
Wed Sep 28 00:07:53 CEST 2011

Hello Again,

I have been interested in bitcoins for a while, have been collecting a few along the way. And foaf:bitcoin would be cool.

Comments inline:
On 26 Sep 2011, at 15:25, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 26 September 2011 05:52, Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org> wrote:
>> I think a payment account would be a nice addition. I'd suggest just using
>> tipjar, but its range is Document, not OnlineAccount. A property named
>> 'bitcoin' could sound anachronistic and/or be overly specific soon.
>
> Agree there's a chance that it could become anachronistic (any project
> can) but it has such huge traction now, that at least some part of
> bitcoin will be here to stay I think.

I too have this feeling that they will be here to stay. I think people have been itching for internet payment system, one which doesn't involve the suspects.

> It's my intention to work with the bitcoin community to make a bitcoin
> ontology.

I would love to help out Melvin, drop me a mail if you think it would be worthwhile.

Mischa

> The advantage of a shorthand property in foaf, is that it makes it
> that much easier simple payment system going as a proof of concept.
> The string range plays nicely with both real bitcoin addresses and the
> test bitcoins which can be used e.g. for creating prototypes.
>
> The many of the other bitcoin derivatives will also have non colliding
> addresses, so bitcoin modelled as an address is really a family of
> currencies (indeed you could fork a linked data version).  I'm sure at
> least a few of them will be around in some time to come, but more
> importantly can be used in applications immediately.
>

>> Mike

Mischa Tuffield PhD
Email: mischa.tuffield at garlik.com
Homepage - http://mmt.me.uk/