[foaf-dev] are these files valid FOAF?

Christian Ledermann christian.ledermann at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 03:47:01 EDT 2012

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it very much.

I know that foaf was mainly designed to express the social graph
between persons, so my use case is not really covered by this
specification. OTOH, professional information like this can be
integrated into a social graph so it is not so unrelated as it may
look at first glance.

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Michael Haschke
<haschek at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> ... to make it more sensible, you'd need to  say "ok, what is the
>> *relationship* between that organization and that person?
>> I'm not sure what would be best here, formally foaf:knows is really
>> between people, not an org and and a person - see
>> http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_knows
>
> Maybe (and I just can guess) foaf:member is meant here. I wished we
> would have an inverse property of foaf:member, would things make
> easier to say that a person is part of a group.

I agree, there is:
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_membershipClass

which is rather abstract and not very end user friendly

a construct like

<rdf:RDF>
    <foaf:Person rdf:ID="fi22a47b04eece6d5f2e26d58fd1a6930b">
       <foaf:memberOf>
           <foaf:Organization
rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/.../foaf.rdf"/>
       <foaf:memberOf>
       <foaf:memberOf>
           <foaf:Project rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/.../foaf.rdf"/>
       <foaf:memberOf>
   </foaf:Person>
</rdf:RDF>

would be more humanly readable without giving up machine readability

> Right now I sometimes
> use foaf:currentProject but this does not feel right.

yes this does not feel right to me either, especially with the relation
person -> org

> Any other
> suggestions?

from the documentation:

===============
Property: foaf:member

member - Indicates a member of a Group
Status:	stable
Domain:	having this property implies being a Group
Range:	 every value of this property is a Agent
The member property relates a Group to a Agent that is a member of that group.

See Group for details and examples.
===================

as organization  seems to be a special case of a group:

===============
Class: foaf:Organization

Organization - An organization.
Status:	stable
Subclass Of	Agent
Disjoint With:	Person Document
The Organization class represents a kind of Agent corresponding to
social instititutions such as companies, societies etc.

This is a more 'solid' class than Group, which allows for more ad-hoc
collections of individuals. These terms, like the corresponding
natural language concepts, have some overlap, but different emphasis.
=================

I think this would be more according to the specification:

<rdf:RDF>
   <foaf:Organization rdf:ID="fee5905f">
      <foaf:name>United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)</foaf:name>

     <foaf:member>
         <foaf:Person rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/.../@@foaf.rdf"/>
     </foaf:member>
     <foaf:member>
           <foaf:Person rdf:resource="http://localhost:8080/.../@@foaf.rdf"/>
      </foaf:member>
  </foaf:Organization>
</rdf:RDF>

> Christian's foaf file contains projects. Foaf voc itself lacks a
> property to relate a group with a project, any ideas here?

I'll have a closer look at:

http://www.epimorphics.com/public/vocabulary/org.html

and report back

> regards,
> Haschek
> --
> http://michael.haschke.biz/

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Nairobi - Kenya
Mobile : +254 702978914

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>