[foaf-dev] FOAF 1.0 Planning Doc

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Thu Jun 14 04:46:55 EDT 2012

On 14 Jun 2012, at 10:32, Dominique Guardiola wrote:

> Le 14 juin 2012 à 10:16, Henry Story a écrit :
>>>
>>> <http://example.org/cid/34> a foaf:ContactMedium, v:Cell ;
>>> 	rdf:value <tel:+3361513227>;  # using a tel URI[2]
>>> 	rdfs:comment "Do not call after 8PM"@en
>>> 	rdfs:comment "Ne pas déranger après 20h"@fr
>>> 	dct:modified "2012-05-23"^^xsd:date
>>
>> I don't really see the need for this. Just write
>>
>> <tel:+3361513227> rdfs:comment "Do not call after 8PM"@en .
>
> Henry,
> this example only works because I used a <tel> uri (tried to be smart here but it plays against me ;) Usually, phone numbers are given as literals, and that can't be a subject.

Well that's a good reason to use tel uris. Foaf:mbox is defined on uris. People who don't use that loose out on being able to express such things easily.

> The main idea is that keeping this kind of information (contact medium) only as properties prevents us from attaching useful data to it.
> (In the context of getting rid of blank nodes)

Well the tel uri allows you to get rid of blank nodes too

<tel:+3361513227> a foafidea:ContactMedium;
         rdfs:comment "Do not call after 8PM"@en;
         someOnt:tel "+3361513227" .

Well I suppose there is a difference in that you can't dereference the telephone URI to
get more information about it...