[foaf-dev] FOAF site (xmlns.com) down temporarily

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Tue Sep 30 16:45:14 EDT 2014

On 29 September 2014 16:22, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 September 2014 17:03, Dan Brickley <danbri at danbri.org> wrote:
>> I spoke to soon. I applied some more Ubuntu updates today after fixing
>> Apache, and something seems to have destabilized the box. It's an EC2
>> VM and is not responding to pings/ssh, even after reboot. Might have
>> to roll back to a recent backup - will investigate today/tomorrow.
>>
>> Meanwhile, for those who care about weird things like namespace
>> persistence, please note that xmlns.com has been renewed until 2024.
>> After which time, we'll move the server to the mars colonies and
>> someone else can worry about all this!
>

> Apache 2 conf in Ubuntu 14.04 is slightly different from previous versions,
> but this seems not to be the issue here I think.

No, from some similar postings on their forum it's some EC2/Ubuntu
mismatch. Machines stay up but can't be connected to.

What I've done, is gone for a fresh base Ubuntu on top of the (safely
intact) Web site filetree.

This means re-configuring a small mountain of bits and pieces. I don't
believe anything serious is lost.

http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/ is back up for now, but expect things to
be flakey for a while. I'll need take it down again for a few things.

I'm trying to slim down the baggage associated with this server, so
will take the opportunity to downsize. For example, there was a
Subversion server, but I'd prefer to offload that work to Git (and
Github) and just keep an archival copy outside of Github for
reference.

If you notice anything odd with the namespace site (xmlns.com) let me
know in this thread. FOAF's other site on www.foaf-project.org is down
too currently (and my blog), while I restore the DB.

cheers,