[foaf-protocols] report from www2009 in Barcelona

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Sun Apr 26 10:08:13 CEST 2009

Foaf+ssl was well represented at the www2009 conference.

1. Tim Berners Lee mentioned it in his Wednesday keynote presentation
[1].

2. I gave a short 10 minute introduction to foaf+ssl, with emphasis on
the iPhone in the Thursday mobile widgets camp.

3. On Friday I gave a 20 minute overview of foaf+ssl in the social web
camp, and answered a lot of very good questions.

4. Later on Friday we had a 20 minute workshop on foaf+ssl. This was
perhaps the most educational for me. I think we should organize a lot
more of these. There should be two types of workshops:
   - 15/30 minutes long user centered sessions to get people a foaf
+ssl certificate and the opportunity to try it out on some web sites,
and perhaps even to get it going on their cell phones.
   - 2 hours long ones for developers so that we can try developing
new services or trying this out on new devices.

The Workshop
------------

Here are some results from the workshop.

1. It is a pity that foafbuilder.qdos.com does not just give people
foaf+ssl certificates. Because that would allow us to get some very
short end user workshops going. Currently we still have the problem
that we need to link the online acount to the foaf file, which just
slows things down a lot. Perhaps if we can help qdos with a php
library to do this...

2. Tim Berner's Lee was surprised by the WebId being able to point to
an Online Account. This was done to help allow http://test.foafssl.org/cert
  services to create certificates for users that they can point their
foaf files too.
    We debated this in the thread starting here:
   http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2009-February/000213.html
We can revisit it.

3. It would certainly be worth creating a certification service that
would tell the user what rdf he needs to add to his foaf.

4. the login on http://foaf.me/activity.php and now http://foaf.me/login
does not follow the links from an OnlineAccount to the foaf file. So
after getting people certificates using http://test.foafssl.org/cert
we were not able to get a good foaf.me demo going.

    So all in all there was a lot of interest. We need to clearly get
the whole initial experience to be a lot more fluid, if we want this
to grow. Currently there are a lot of little unfinished pieces that
explain why what we are doing is still very mysterious to people
looking on from the outside.

    I hope to be able to organise a good workshop for spot2009.

	Henry

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/Talks/0422-www2009-tbl/#%2810%29

Social Web Architect
Sun Microsystems