[foaf-protocols] FOAF+SSL delegation: logging in to an HTTP server

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Tue Apr 28 15:34:10 CEST 2009

Henry Story wrote:
 > The time it takes has no relation to whether or not something is a
hack. Saying of something that it is a hack is partly an aesthetic
judgement. [...]

Bruno Harbulot answered:
 > The web is huge, so it is very likely that this hack or similar
ones will be around for a long time

Kinsley Idehen interjected:
 > Don't know why you like to tag a innovative extension of an
existing protocol as a "hack".

So to get this clear:

FOAF+SSL in my thinking is *not* a hack: It works with web
architecture - it is RESTful in the full sense of the word.
Architecturally it is very sound. And it provides real value: global
sign on and distributed social networks.

The FOAF+SSL delegation services we are building here, and that I'd
like to get on with, *are* hacks, because they are just simple bridges
to help people without the required infrastructure to get going. The
value delivered by these services is entirely dependent on the value
of FOAF+SSL. There is nothing wrong with creating such services. They
are useful - even essential perhaps. But they are not ends in
themselves.

Furthermore these services have very very little interoperability
requirements. Every such "IdP" could create its own protocol to help
services that do not have SSL help to find a user's WebID, and there
would be absolutely no problem. Even the switching costs of a service
from one such service to another would be minimal. As a proof foaf.me
switched to using the foafssl.org service provider in less than 3
minutes, a few weeks ago.