[foaf-protocols] putting together a test suite for foaf+ssl

Toby Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sat Dec 19 11:14:56 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 20:32 +0000, Story Henry wrote:
> I was wondering if something like EARL could be useful.
>
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/EARL10-Schema/
>
> but am not yet sure how one could use this here. Any ideas?

The RDFa test suite is pretty nice. It has a test case manifest in RDF
<http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/xhtml1-testcases/rdfa-xhtml1-test-manifest.rdf> listing the test cases, input data and expected results. The test harness reads the manifest, runs each test on the implementation being tested and reports the results in EARL.

For testing FOAF+SSL servers, a simple testing tool might be to use the
library being tested to output a simple text/plain page containing the
WebID of the authorised user agent. Something like this:

	header("Content-Type: text/plain");
	$authorisation = check_foaf_plus_ssl();
	if ($authorisation->is_ok)
		{ print($authorisation->webid()); }
	else
		{ print('!'); }
	exit();

Then a test client could fetch this protected resource with several
different certificates each containing different WebIDs and different
potential difficulties (e.g. non-RDF/XML WebIDs; OnlineAccount
indirection; multiple URIs in the subjectAltName; non-URIs in the
subjectAltName; etc) and compare the output to what it expects,
outputting pass/fail data in EARL.

I'd be happy to put together a demonstration over Christmas.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>