[foaf-protocols] Safari 4.01 (5530.18) ssl bugs

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Sun Jun 21 21:38:11 CEST 2009

After a number of upgrades, I recently ended up with Safari 4.01 on my
OSX leopard 10.5.7 laptop. Again it seems to me that the
implementation of SSL has not improved in this release, which again is
a pitty given that user friendliness of the OS on the whole. These
failures do make evident the usefulness of the OpenId hack, as a
fallback position for broken browsers.

It would be very helpful to get some feedback from others on this list
to verify that this does indeed show up a bug in Safari rather than
our code. We can then use this to help improve our bug reports to
Apple and hopefully get this fixed quickly.

I have a large number of SSL certificates in my KeyChain. One self
signed certificate created using the manual procedure described in [1]
and one generated using the  foafssl.net certification service.

Here are some of the experiences I did:

1. If I click on the http://foaf.me/entry.php test link I immediately
get a response stating that no certificate was detected. Safari does
not ask me for any certificate either. foaf.me has a very complete
description of how it is set up, which should help the engineers at
Apple duplicate the behavior.

Here are the packets going over the wire captured with Wireshark