[foaf-protocols] OpenID2 Server: openid4.me

Akbar Hossain akkiehossain at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 30 09:18:06 CET 2009

Hi All,

I have put together a OpenID2 server that uses FOAF+SSL as it user
authentication method.

The server is running on http://openid4.me

To use this service all you need is a FOAF+SSL secured FOAF file.

To login into a OpenID2 enabled site you simply need to type
http://openid4.me into the login box.

As part of the OpenID protocol you will be redirected to an
openid4.mewebpage which will ask you to confirm that you "trust" the
site you are
about to log in to. If you press the "Login using my FOAF+SSL Client
Certificate" button your browser should ask you to select a FOAF+SSL Client
Certficate. Behind the scenes openid4.me will try to confirm that you do
indeed control the WebID you are trying to use. Openid4.me will pass the
WebID stored in the selected certificate back to the site you are logging in
to however the OpenID protocol requires that the webpage URI returned back
to the site you are logging in to has a reference to openid4.me in the
header; this is why your WebID is returned as '
http://openid4.me/http://your_webid'. Openid4.me also tries to extract your
nickname (foaf:nick), fullname (foaf:name) and email address (foaf:mbox)
from your WebID as part of the light-weight profile exchange provided by the
SREG extension<http://openid.net/specs/openid-simple-registration-extension-1_0.html>to
OpenID.

If you prefer you can add the following to a URI you control and use that
URI instead in the OpenID login box and you will be logged in with this URI
instead.

  <link rel="openid.server" href="http://openid4.me/index.php" />
  <link rel="openid2.provider openid.server" href="
http://openid4.me/index.php"/>
  <link rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" title="FOAF"
href="your_webid"/>

  Note your WebID must be URL encoded i.e. "#" must be encoded as "%23"

Any Feedback / Ideas on how to improve would be greatly appreciated.

A fuller description of the server is available at http://openid4.me/

Thanks