[foaf-protocols] Fwd: gnome-keyring Interacting with from java

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 22:02:43 CEST 2010

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stef Walter <stef-list at memberwebs.com>
Date: 2010/4/9
Subject: Re: gnome-keyring Interacting with from java
To: Dmitri Melnikov <dmitri807 at gmail.com>, gnome-keyring-list at gnome.org

Hi. I hope it's okay if I CC this to the gnome-keyring mailing list.

On 04/02/2010 11:52 AM, Dmitri Melnikov wrote:

> As I understand you are the main developer of the gnome-keyring project.
> I am currently working on a java project that requires a secure
> storage for it's passwords.
> I would like to ask if it's possible to talk with gnome-keyring over
> DBUS using this java library:
> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-java/ ? If not, then how can it be
> done?

Yes, this can certainly be done. GNOME keyring uses the new Secret Service
API, and this is usable from DBus directly. This is a new, mostly complete
API and may have some rough edges or undocumented spots.

http://people.gnome.org/~stefw/secrets/html/<http://people.gnome.org/%7Estefw/secrets/html/>

The benefit of using this DBus API is that (eventually) your application
will also be able to talk to the various KDE password storage components
(KWallet).

Additionally I believe (but have not verified) that the java-gnome has
bindings for gnome-keyring:

http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/

 Also, I'm a bit confused about the difference between gnome-keyring
> and seahorse, it seems
> that they do the same thing but seahorse is used mainly for storing
> keys and cannot store passwords.

gnome-keyring is the daemon and backend infrastructure for password and key
storage. Seahorse is the user interface for password and key management.

 I'm sorry to trouble you but the information on the internet about the
> subject is rather confusing.

No worries. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Cheers,

Stef