[foaf-protocols] fp:ping

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Thu Apr 15 11:09:46 CEST 2010

On 15 Apr 2010, at 08:42, Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:00:23 +0100
> Story Henry <henry.story at bblfish.net> wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose a ping relation.
>
> Have you seen Semantic Pingback?
>
> http://aksw.org/Projects/SemanticPingback

It seems unnecessarily complex.

It uses RPC, when a simple HTML FORM can do. Why? RPC was cool 8 years ago
because it used XML!  Wow! The continuation of this lead to the SOAP
bubble, which seems to have vanished in the past year somehow.

So the suggestion seems to be that because blogging used RPC for ping,
one should use it too. But since every application developer knows how
to parse a POST, and only legacy blog developers need to learn the dying
XML/RPC standard, I don't see why we should burden ourselves with it.
Neither do I understand why the linked data people are.

Or perhaps I have mised something.

If I have not, I'll repost the suggestion on the linked data
mailing list.