[foaf-protocols] [FOAF-SSL] XRI, WOT, Alternate transports, Server security, Naming, DNS support

Toby Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 16:09:46 CEST 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 03:17:44 +0200
thib <thib at stammed.net> wrote:

> In fact, I'd simply like a more generic way to *refer* to a WebID.  I
> now know HTTP will somewhat be alone here, but let's imagine it's
> not;  if I ever wanted to change the protocol used to provide my FOAF
> file, my WebID would break.

HTTP, the protocol, and "http:", the URI scheme, are not intrinsically
linked. It's possible to resolve an "http:" URI, or find data about
a resource with an "http:" URI using a non-HTTP protocol; and it's also
possible to resolve non-"http:" URIs using HTTP.

Yes, it's true that doing either of these things is pretty rare, but I
have a feeling they might become more common in time.

As an example, it's possible to get data about my WebID without
resolving <http://tobyinkster.co.uk/#i> via HTTP. You could use the
SPARQL protocol on any SPARQL endpoint that carries data about me. (As
it happens SPARQL protocol is layered on top of HTTP, but it didn't
have to be.)

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>