Stéphane Corlosquet scorlosquet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 17:51:06 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Bruno Harbulot <
Bruno.Harbulot at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Reto: primer should be something else. primer should explain
> > implementers how to provide a WebID and authenticate with WebID but the
> > OpenID comparison should live elsewhere.
>
> I think it's a good idea to put as little (or nothing) about OpenID in
> the core spec, but have it in a separate document instead.

During the weekend I started moving the OpenID & OAuth sections into a new
document about related technologies (OpenID etc.):
http://github.com/scor/webid-spec. I've also reworded the last paragraph of
the motivation section to be more OpenID friendly:

[[[
Using a process made popular by OpenID, we show how one can tie a User Agent
to a URI by proving that one has write access to the URI. WebID is an
authentication protocol which uses X.509 certificates to associate a User
Agent (Browser) to a Person identified via a URI. WebID is compatible with
OpenID and provides a few additional features such as trust management via
digital signatures, and free-form extensibility via RDF. By using the
existing SSL certificate exchange mechanism, WebID integrates smoothly with
existing Web browsers, including browsers on mobile devices. WebID also
permits automated session login in addition to interactive session login.
Additionally, all data is encrypted and guaranteed to only be received by
the person or organization that was intended to receive it.
]]]

I think it's still worth to briefly mention OpenID in the main WebID doc.
Not sure OAuth is relevant here though.

> > Manu: We can phrase it as follows: right now we support RDFa and RDF/XML
> > but any format which can be transformed into RDF triples can be
> > integrated with WebID. The formats which will work out of the box are
> > RDFa, RDF/XML or other RDF serializations.
>
> This is kind of what I had suggested a couple of weeks ago:
>
> > A Verification Agent MUST be able to process documents in RDF/XML
> > [RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] and XHTML+RDFa [XHTML-RDFA].
> > A server responding to a WebID Profile request MUST be able to return a
> > representation in RDF/XML (using media type application/rdf+xml) or
> > XHTML+RDFa (using either media type text/html or media type
> > application/xhtml+xml). In addition, either parties may support any
> > other RDF format via HTTP content-type negotiation.
>

> The new version makes things worse, I think:
>
> > A Verification Agent must be able to process documents in RDF/XML
> > [RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] and XHTML+RDFa [XHTML-RDFA]. A server responding
> > to a WebID Profile request should support HTTP content negotiation.
> > The server must return a representation in RDF/XML for media type
> > application/rdf+xml. The server must return a representation in
> > XHTML+RDFa for media type text/html or media type
> > application/xhtml+xml. Verification Agents and Identification Agents
> > may support any other RDF format via HTTP content negotiation.

yes, and Reto fixed it on July 26th [1]. This was merged into Manu's repo
and should appear in the next draft:

[[[
A Verification Agent  must be able to process documents in RDF/XML
[RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] and XHTML+RDFa [XHTML-RDFA]. A server responding to a
WebID Profile request should be able to deliver at least RDF/XML or RDFa.
The Verification Agent must  set the Accept-Header to request
application/rdf+xml with a higher priority than text/html and
application/xhtml+xml. If the server answers such a request with an HTML
representation of the resource, this should describe the WebId Profile with
RDFa.
]]]

Steph.

[1]