Henry Story henry.story at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 19:32:41 CEST 2010

On 2 Aug 2010, at 19:28, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Henry Story wrote:
>> On 2 Aug 2010, at 18:45, Nathan wrote:
>>

>>> I really like that sentence - perfect even imho.
>>>
>>> 'MUST have a Machine and Human readable representation of a structured profile document'
>>>

>> "MUST have a representation of an RDF graph in a machine readable representation. See the section on representations for more about this."
>>

> RDF Graph Doesn't cut it.
>
> You are fixating a little on RDF.

Well yes, and we should be ok with that. Don't worry about people not grokking RDF, few people will read this document.

If we need to we should explain how any format can be seen to map to an RDF graph.

> If you are going to fixate on RDF then we aren't in agreement.
>
> "RDF" is as confusing and problematic as you perceive the sentence: ... structured representation of a profile document.
>
> We can't fix RDF incomprehension issues via WebID spec. Please don't go down this path.

No we really need a baseline. We can accept different formats, but we don't want to reinvent semantics here.

> Let people come to understand what Structured Data is about. How you make a Structured Profile Document that's palabtable to machines and humans.
>
> "RDF" is very problematic cos most assume its RDF/XML, and I've long given up trying to fix that misconception.

Then when you speak to customers use a different word. Most RFC use technical language like SHOULD, MUST, RDFXXXX etc. Customers don't care.

Henry