Seth Russell russell.seth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 01:00:07 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen at openlinksw.com>wrote:

> Seth Russell wrote:
>
>> Henry, i resent your tone here.  I wasn't born yesterday, i have been
>> hanging around watching the W3C specification process for a long time and i
>> am quite familiar with the function of specification on the internet.
>>  That said, i will address the only  thing you said which  does not just
>> sound to me like a rationalization to kick  an issue down the road.
>>
>> > Even if we wrote it down, why would people follow it?
>>
>> Engineers and webmasters go to the specification all the time to figure
>> out what to do.    If they cannot find any place where it is written down,
>> then usually they turn to examples of how it is being done in practice.
>>  Well now, if those engineers and webmasters do that, what do they find in
>> this case?   Most of the examples of WebIDs out there now do you return any
>> human readable profile if you hit them with your browser.   Your own WebID
>> is a fine example of the way to do it.   But mine, which i got from openlink
>> is not ... it returns JSON.  How are we to change the behavior of  the
>> engineers and webmasters if we don't even have the courage to write down how
>> we intend it to be done?
>>

> Seth,
>
> You are losing me here.
>
> How on earth does the WebID from <http://kingsley.idehen.net> give you
> JSON? Put your WebID in the Address bar of any browser and you will get an
> HTML representation of your Profile (with RDFa embedded). Negotiate RDF/XML,
> N3, Turtle, JSON, OData etc.. and you will get those representations.

> What do you think your WebID is? Ditto your Structured Profile Page URL?
> Ditto your OpenID URL?

I have been laboring under the assumption, perhaps erroneously, that my
WebID is
https://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/sethrussell   and as you can
see from the attached  picture it is serving JSON.

> If you want, simply go to: https://id.myopenlink.net/ods and open a new
> account. The moment you open an account you have a WebID (URL based Name
> Reference) and a Profile  Document (conventional URL Address Reference). I
> am astounded how everything we put out can be so confusing.  You can also
> manage your profile via:
>
> 1. http://id.myopenlink.net/vsp/users/users.vsp
> 2. http://id.myopenlink.net/php/users/users.php
> 3. http://id.myopenlink.net/javascript/users/users.html .
>

> Please confirm that you know JSON isn't our human readable option when
> HTML+RDFa is the default you get when placing an ODS WebID in your Browser's
> address bar.

Yep i confirm.  I suspected that this was some kind of  confusion,  more
than likely  on my side of the fence.

> Here are my details:
>
> Personal WebID: http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this
> Profile Document URL: http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen (you can negotiate a variety of representations for this resource but
> browsers will get HTML+RDFa since the ask for HTML by default)
> OpenID URL: http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen .
>
> The above has been so for a number of years now.  You will get the same
> via: http://id.myopenlink.net/ods (or the other profile manager endpoints
> above).

You know i would do that but as i have mentioned several times before none
of those URL's suit me as my WebID.   Instead i want my WebID to be
http://stikto.me/seth and i was kind of waiting until you could host
stikto.me for that purpose.

Seth