Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Tue Aug 3 11:19:50 CEST 2010

Seth Russell wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen at openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen at openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     Seth Russell wrote:
>
>         Henry, i resent your tone here.  I wasn't born yesterday, i
>         have been hanging around watching the W3C specification
>         process for a long time and i am quite familiar with the
>         function of specification on the internet.    That said, i
>         will address the only  thing you said which  does not just
>         sound to me like a rationalization to kick  an issue down the
>         road.
>
>         > Even if we wrote it down, why would people follow it?
>
>         Engineers and webmasters go to the specification all the time
>         to figure out what to do.    If they cannot find any place
>         where it is written down, then usually they turn to examples
>         of how it is being done in practice.    Well now, if those
>         engineers and webmasters do that, what do they find in this
>         case?   Most of the examples of WebIDs out there now do you
>         return any human readable profile if you hit them with your
>         browser.   Your own WebID is a fine example of the way to do
>         it.   But mine, which i got from openlink is not ... it
>         returns JSON.  How are we to change the behavior of  the
>         engineers and webmasters if we don't even have the courage to
>         write down how we intend it to be done?
>

>     Seth,
>
>     You are losing me here.
>
>     How on earth does the WebID from <http://kingsley.idehen.net> give
>     you JSON? Put your WebID in the Address bar of any browser and you
>     will get an HTML representation of your Profile (with RDFa
>     embedded). Negotiate RDF/XML, N3, Turtle, JSON, OData etc.. and
>     you will get those representations.
>

>     What do you think your WebID is? Ditto your Structured Profile
>     Page URL? Ditto your OpenID URL?
>

> I have been laboring under the assumption, perhaps erroneously, that
> my WebID is
> https://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/sethrussell   and as you
> can see from the attached  picture it is serving JSON.

Your WebID (what's also in your x.509 cert) is:
<http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/sethrussell#this>

>     If you want, simply go to: https://id.myopenlink.net/ods and open
>     a new account. The moment you open an account you have a WebID
>     (URL based Name Reference) and a Profile  Document (conventional
>     URL Address Reference). I am astounded how everything we put out
>     can be so confusing.  You can also manage your profile via:
>
>     1. http://id.myopenlink.net/vsp/users/users.vsp
>     2. http://id.myopenlink.net/php/users/users.php
>     3. http://id.myopenlink.net/javascript/users/users.html .
>

>     Please confirm that you know JSON isn't our human readable option
>     when HTML+RDFa is the default you get when placing an ODS WebID in
>     your Browser's address bar.
>

> Yep i confirm.  I suspected that this was some kind of  confusion,
> more than likely  on my side of the fence.
>

>     Here are my details:
>
>     Personal WebID:
>     http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this
>     Profile Document URL:
>     http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen  (you can
>     negotiate a variety of representations for this resource but
>     browsers will get HTML+RDFa since the ask for HTML by default)
>     OpenID URL: http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen .
>
>     The above has been so for a number of years now.  You will get the
>     same via: http://id.myopenlink.net/ods (or the other profile
>     manager endpoints above).
>

> You know i would do that but as i have mentioned several times before
> none of those URL's suit me as my WebID.   Instead i want my WebID to
> be http://stikto.me/seth and i was kind of waiting until you could
> host stikto.me <http://stikto.me> for that purpose.

Yes, and you could simply instantiate an Amazon AMI and have exactly
what you want: Your own Personal Data Space (controlled by you and
hosted by in Amazon's EC2 Data Center).

Links:

1. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/ODSInstallationEC2 -- how to setup
the AMI (kingsley.idehen.net/ods and id.myopenlink.net/ods are just
instances of this) .

> Seth

President & CEO