[foaf-protocols] WebID spec version http://bblfish.net/tmp/2010/08/02/

Stéphane Corlosquet scorlosquet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:49:32 CEST 2010

== Notes for editors ahead, please ignore if you don't plan to edit the
spec. ==

Quick note for those who might be interested in editing the spec, you should
be careful if you ever copy/paste content from index.html into
index-respec.html:

-<h1>Authentication Sequence</h1>
+<h3><span class="secno">2.2 </span>Authentication Sequence</h3>

+<li>The <a class="tref internalDFN" title="Identification_Agent"
href="#dfn-identification_agent">Identification Agent</a> attempts to access
a resource

These kind of changes should not be made to index-respec.html, in fact if
you edit this file, you don't have to worry about choosing the right h1-h6
or the section number as these are generated by the respec.js script. I know
Henry didn't mean to commit this and it's a result of copy pasting his
initial changes from index.html to index-respec.html, but if you're seeing
verbose snippets like these:
- <h3><span class="secno">2.2 </span>
- <a class="tref internalDFN" title="Identification_Agent"
href="#dfn-identification_agent">Identification Agent</a>
- <a class="bibref" rel="biblioentry" href="#bib-HTTP-TLS">HTTP-TLS</a>
- <em class="rfc2119" title="may">may</em>

you are simply editing the wrong file! The respec sugar code is really nice
to edit and all this painful HTML is generated for you. This makes the src
of the spec much more readable and editor friendly as the generation of all
the pretty headings, ToC, links to definitions and links to bib references
are handled downstream automatically in the same spirit as LaTeX (except
it's all js based).
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/ReSpec.js/documentation.htmlgoes into the
details of all this.

I manually merged the changes from Henry's repo into index-respec.html
discarding the hardcoded HTML. Working on the index.html means you worked on
an outdated version from June 25th so I checked the history of
index-respec.html and reapplied some changes to the content you added (most
importantly the URL to URI change). You can check the result at:
  http://files.openspring.net/2010/08/webid-spec/index-respec.html

I will work on a better solution with Manu so people don't get fooled by
this index.html.

Steph.