[foaf-protocols] Human readbale Web-Ids (was Re: First WebID Teleconference minutes (July 27th 2010))

Reto Bachmann-Gmür me at farewellutopia.com
Fri Aug 6 13:21:26 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Seth Russell <russell.seth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Bruno Harbulot
> <Bruno.Harbulot at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > but any format which can be transformed into RDF triples can be
>> > integrated with WebID. The formats which will work out of the box are
>> > RDFa, RDF/XML or other RDF serializations.
>>
>> > Manu: We can phrase it as follows: right now we support RDFa and RDF/XML
>> This is kind of what I had suggested a couple of weeks ago:
>>
>> > A Verification Agent MUST be able to process documents in RDF/XML
>> > [RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] and XHTML+RDFa [XHTML-RDFA].
>> > A server responding to a WebID Profile request MUST be able to return a
>> > representation in RDF/XML (using media type application/rdf+xml) or
>> > XHTML+RDFa (using either media type text/html or media type
>> > application/xhtml+xml). In addition, either parties may support any
>> > other RDF format via HTTP content-type negotiation.
>>

>> The new version makes things worse, I think:
>>
>> > A Verification Agent must be able to process documents in RDF/XML
>> > [RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] and XHTML+RDFa [XHTML-RDFA]. A server responding
>> > to a WebID Profile request should support HTTP content negotiation.
>> > The server must return a representation in RDF/XML for media type
>> > application/rdf+xml. The server must return a representation in
>> > XHTML+RDFa for media type text/html or media type
>> > application/xhtml+xml. Verification Agents and Identification Agents
>> > may support any other RDF format via HTTP content negotiation.
>>
>> Mandating or recommending content-type negotiation could make things
>> more difficult for the publisher side.
>> Mandating the HTML returned to have some RDFa is also a bad thing, I
>> think. The verification agent could very well request
>> application/rdf+xml first and then text/html in order or preference.
>> Then, a server supporting content-type negotiation could return RDF/XML
>> for that and some plain HTML to a browser.
>
> I don't know if this has been already dealt with or not, but i think it is
> important if you intend WebIDs to be used by people.  First point of
> information:   arn't you're giving out WebID's, hopefully short ones, which
> people pass around in various contexts to various agents to identify
> themselves?  Well if that is the case, then me thinks that is should be
> **mandated** that if a person hits one of those WebID's with their browser,
> not knowing anything about content negoition, that the WewID URL will
> respond with a profile in a human friendly way.

Jumping in very late in this very long thread.

There seems to be a missunderstanding on content-negotiation: the user
doesn't have to know anything about it, your browser takes care of it.
all browsers in the real world send a request header that will lead to
a human-readable variant is this is available - I agree this always
should be available but I think this is out of scope of the
specification.

Cheers,
Reto