Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Fri Aug 6 15:09:06 CEST 2010

Seth Russell wrote:
> There is another reason why we should be a more heavey handed with
> specifying formats ... and that is *reliability*.  If we leave the
> formats so open and up to developers to coose, then we are going to
> get everything all over the board ... pretty much what is happening
> right now.   So the chances any one person has of seeing it work will
> be decreased.  When it doesn't work for people, they will just go do
> something else.

There is a bit of pragmatic reality that we continue to overlook.

Given a choice of any format and RDF/XML most Web Developers with choose
the other format. Thus, narrowing the formats down to HTML+RDFa and
RDF/XML basically means developers will use HTML+RDFa.  Even better, the
ones that do RDF/XML already grok content negotiation as route to adding
HTML based descriptor docs to the mix.

Linked Data as exemplified by DBpedia demonstrates all of the nuances I
mention :-)

What we cannot do is mandate a single format. They will be very
susceptible to FUD.

Kingsley