[foaf-protocols] WebID and Portable Contacts

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Fri Aug 6 19:15:10 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Henry Story <henry.story at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    in a discussion today with Harry Halpin one of the chairs of the
> Social Web XG and chair of the GRDDL working group at the offices of
> hypios in Paris, we discussed the very intriguing possibility of
> adding GRDDL to Portable Contacts.
>
> It is very widely supported by groups with very a lot of mindshare.
>
> What we could do is the following:
>
> 1- see if there is an equivalent to a WebID that could be added to
> portable contacts, ie a way of giving the users described therein a
> URL that other documents can link to
>
> 2- see if we can work out a way to add an association to a public key
> to portable contacts, and suggest that to their group
>
> 3- write a GRDDL XSLT and XSPARQL transform from Portable Contacts to
> foaf, WebId, and see if they would be willing to publish this at their
> name space.
>
> I talked to Harry Halpin today in Paris, who worked on the GRDDL spec,
> and he mentioned that it has a section on security that we could look
> into.
>
>  I think doing something like this for Portable Contacts would show
> the way for other formats like vcard to join the WebID movement. This
> will then allow us to make the point clearly about what syntax
> independence means.  It will also help us get massive deployments of
> WebIDs, as it would very likely get very simple buy-in from that
> crowd. This would then get them interested in joining us I hope giving
> us all the more visibility.

This would be good. I talked with Joseph Smarr about this when PoCo
was young, and got positive feedback. I think I even started sketching
the XSLT somewhere, however PoCo has evolved a bit since then (as has
OpenSocial, whose schema it partially includes). Ah ok, found the
initial thread, see

http://groups.google.com/group/portablecontacts/browse_thread/thread/6954a050d65485bf/ced1b56aaa246a85?lnk=gst&q=brickley

... seems things got bogged down with choosing a suitable and
GRDDL-friendly URI for their namespace document. I can dig more when
back from vacation.

Note btw that the preferred forms of the basic FOAF naming properties
are aligned (spelling/case/underscores) with PoCo,
http://portablecontacts.net/draft-spec.html#schema ... ie familyName
givenName, although we don't currently have a 'reified' notion of a
'name as a thing'.

cheers,