[foaf-protocols] Splitti9ng the spec? (was Re: WebID breakthrough - pure Javascript+Flash implementation)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Aug 9 06:00:47 CEST 2010

On 08/08/2010 07:06 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
> Congratulations!
> ...it worked well on my nokia n900.

Great! We hadn't even thought about testing it on mobile devices yet, so
it's good to know that it works on the N900 :)

> As for the WebId Spec it raises interesting questions. To me it seems
> that while being a useful application it is clearly not the tight
> integration into the existing web-stack as envisaged by the current spec
> drafts. I wouldn't want to renounce the latter but I think it would be
> great to have the openness for integrating webid on other TLS based
> applications.
>
> I think one way to achieve this would be to split the spec into two:

I agree with the sentiment, but think that we should wait for the spec
to grow enough that it's clear where the split should happen. I think
what you proposed is a good bifurcation of the domain, but it may be
good to wait off on the split until we have much more in the WebID spec.

Part of me is concerned that if we keep splitting the spec that we'll
have many documents that are difficult for non-WebID folks to follow -
we may make implementers jobs more difficult by having more than one
document at this point for all of the technical information.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: WebID - Universal Login for the Web
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/08/07/webid/2/