[foaf-protocols] WebID and WebFinger

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 08:39:20 CEST 2010

On 9 August 2010 20:19, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I pointed this out to Blaine Cook, too.  We've exchanged a few mails on
> the subject, on and off list.

Blaine got right back to me offlist about it...

Henry has also blogged about some of the
> options.  The W3C SWXG Social Incubator group also had a teleconference on
> Webfinger; most of the major players have been invited to speak and the take
> up rate is high.  People like Chirs Messina have downloaded and viewed our
> source code as long ago as a year ago.
>
> So im not sure why you think it's 'different universes'?

Fair enough, I do seem to have missed a lot of interaction.

> I think there's a quiet acceptance of WebID emmerging, with the attitude
> sort of becoming ... 'Show us what you can do!'
>
> Perhaps the wider question is, why have only about 1% of people who have
> interest in the semantic web, so far got themselves a webid?

Ah - now that is back in the "different universes" area. With the
WebFinger folks looking at syntactical transformations from email
addresses to URIs, potentially *everyone* with an email address will
get URIs which identify themselves.

Which raises the question around WebId of how best to deal with the
likelihood of people having multiple WebIds (one per service given the
current social net landscape), which seems ok semantically with the
aid of owl:sameAs, but problematic in practice due to the lack of
automatic discovery: a problem for both groups I reckon.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name