[foaf-protocols] WebID breakthrough - pure Javascript+Flash implementation

Toby Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 22:02:44 CEST 2010

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:52:53 -0400
Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> So, if you create a WebID in Chrome, the same WebID can be used in
> IE on the same machine.

That's already the case. Virtually all browsers have an "Import"
button in their certificate manager, and most have an "Export"
(a.k.a. "Backup") button too - e.g.

IE:
http://wiki.wmtransfer.com/wiki/files/pfx_export_1.gif

Firefox:
http://www.lampdocs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/firefox.jpg

Opera:
http://www.onlinehowto.net/tuts_pic/400_3488_opera_import_certificate.jpg

Chrome:
http://googlechrometutorial.com/images/google-chrome-ssl-certificates-window.jpg

The Mac OS X keychain used by Safari also has import and export IIRC,
but I've been unable to find a pretty picture of it.

I personally use the same certificate in Opera and Firefox on Linux,
and occasionally with wget.

Even if someone finds it difficult to transfer certificates between
browsers, it's possible for a single WebID URI to have multiple
certificates - cert:identity isn't an inverse functional property.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>