[foaf-protocols] WebID breakthrough - pure Javascript+Flash implementation

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Tue Aug 10 22:40:20 CEST 2010

Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:52:53 -0400
> Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>

>> So, if you create a WebID in Chrome, the same WebID can be used in
>> IE on the same machine.
>>

> That's already the case. Virtually all browsers have an "Import"
> button in their certificate manager, and most have an "Export"
> (a.k.a. "Backup") button too - e.g.
>
> IE:
> http://wiki.wmtransfer.com/wiki/files/pfx_export_1.gif
>
> Firefox:
> http://www.lampdocs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/firefox.jpg
>
> Opera:
> http://www.onlinehowto.net/tuts_pic/400_3488_opera_import_certificate.jpg
>
> Chrome:
> http://googlechrometutorial.com/images/google-chrome-ssl-certificates-window.jpg
>
> The Mac OS X keychain used by Safari also has import and export IIRC,
> but I've been unable to find a pretty picture of it.
>
> I personally use the same certificate in Opera and Firefox on Linux,
> and occasionally with wget.
>
> Even if someone finds it difficult to transfer certificates between
> browsers, it's possible for a single WebID URI to have multiple
> certificates - cert:identity isn't an inverse functional property.

Manu,

My demos do demonstrate the above across IE and Mac OS X. Personally, I
prefer generating a cert per browser when the browser handles Cert. and
Key storage (Firefox and Opera). Where the browser leave it to the OS
i.e. Safari, Chrome, and IE, I use a single Cert. Of course you can have
multiple Certs. in this scenario too.

What I will need to do once done with my vacation is make demos that
emphasize a specific aspect of the many things you can do with the WebID
protocol  alongside an end to end demo (across various browsers and
platforms combos).

President & CEO