[foaf-protocols] Fwd: Re: WebID breakthrough - pure Javascript+Flash implementation

Bruno Harbulot Bruno.Harbulot at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 14:15:43 CEST 2010

Hi Kingsley,

On 11/08/10 09:35, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Bruno,
>
> As per prior comment, my bank (Bank of America) already uses X.509
> certificates and Private keys to facilitate wire transfers (local and
> international). The only thing missing from their setup is the use of
> Subj. Alt. Name. Imagine what happens when I (or someone else) gets them
> to comprehend the virtues of simply adding a WebID to their existing
> setup :-)

Sure, but the identifier is not what I'm talking about here.
The X.509 certificates used by banks still fall under some form of
traditional PKIs as far as I'm aware: there's a CA that signs the
certificates and thereby asserts it has made appropriate verifications
regarding the actual identity of the parties involved before emitting
their certificates.
That's completely independent of using a subjectAltName or a universal
identifier.

Best wishes,

Bruno.