[foaf-protocols] Fwd: Re: WebID breakthrough - pure Javascript+Flash implementation

Henry Story henry.story at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 17:19:29 CEST 2010

On 13 Aug 2010, at 17:11, Bruno Harbulot wrote:

> i,
>
> You're absolutely right, RESTfulness matters for curl/Tabulator
> (essentially, non-browser user-agents). Does it matter to the general
> public using a browser for normal website usage? I'm not sure right now.

Of course that is like asking if HTML or XHTML or anything matters to the public. Of course nothing matters, other than getting laid - that's the way of nature.

In architecture we are not asking what matters to the public. We are asking what kind of systems we can build, and what benefits building those systems have. The RESTful architecture of the web has some very interesting benefits, which I won't go into now. Let us just say that I don't hear anybody speak of SOAP anymore and that billions of dollars were poured into that.

Now I don't think we are interested on this list to discuss the benefits inconveniences of REST. There are other lists for that. We clearly here believe in the benefits of it and of the benefits of linked data. That is not up for discussion.

   Here we are discussing foaf protocols, ie things one can do when one believes that linked data and social networks together provide some very powerful opportunities.