[foaf-protocols] Webid Spec: Reference to the X.509 RFC 5280?

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Mon Aug 16 14:38:48 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen at openlinksw.com> wrote:
>  On 8/16/10 12:16 PM, Bruno Harbulot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The PKIX spec (RFC 5280) is based on X.509, so it does repeat some of
>> the content of the X.509 spec and puts it into context (for a PKI).
>> However, the permitted values for the SAN are in the X.509 Specification.
>>      http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X.509-200508-I/en
>>      (section 8.3.2.1)
>>
>> Regarding Webfinger/Fingerpoint, I'm not quite sure how widespread this
>> is yet.
>
> Bruno,
>
> Since GMAIL and AOL both support Webfinger, I think its safe to assume
> wide spread use of  resolvable "acct:" and "mailto:" scheme URIs which
> are discovered via emerging .well-known/host-meta resource mechanism and associated XRD resources.

I'm not sure there is quite so much enthusiasm for acct: around
currently, in particular Eran seems to be having second thoughts. For
eg see discussion around
http://groups.google.com/group/webfinger/browse_thread/thread/c8c56559218aa7f3/4830bf2253a00742?#4830bf2253a00742

cheers,

Dan

ps. somewhat related, discussion of 3 different flavours of identifier
in OAuth2-based "OpenID Connect",
http://davidrecordon.com/2010/08/the-three-types-of-openid-connect-identifiers.html