[foaf-protocols] Webid Spec: Reference to the X.509 RFC 5280?

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 15:11:03 CEST 2010

On 16 August 2010 14:38, Dan Brickley <danbri at danbri.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen at openlinksw.com>
> wrote:
> >  On 8/16/10 12:16 PM, Bruno Harbulot wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The PKIX spec (RFC 5280) is based on X.509, so it does repeat some of
> >> the content of the X.509 spec and puts it into context (for a PKI).
> >> However, the permitted values for the SAN are in the X.509
> Specification.
> >>      http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X.509-200508-I/en
> >>      (section 8.3.2.1)
> >>
> >> Regarding Webfinger/Fingerpoint, I'm not quite sure how widespread this
> >> is yet.
> >
> > Bruno,
> >
> > Since GMAIL and AOL both support Webfinger, I think its safe to assume
> > wide spread use of  resolvable "acct:" and "mailto:" scheme URIs which
> > are discovered via emerging .well-known/host-meta resource mechanism and
> associated XRD resources.
>
> I'm not sure there is quite so much enthusiasm for acct: around
> currently, in particular Eran seems to be having second thoughts. For
> eg see discussion around
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/webfinger/browse_thread/thread/c8c56559218aa7f3/4830bf2253a00742?#4830bf2253a00742

1. I think the webid spec should focus on dereferencing HTTP URI's

2. Other schemes are allowed but I suggest dereferencing is out of scope of
the core spec.

3. With draft specs such as webfinger, I tend to look for guidance from the
wider community as they evolve and the W3C TAG.

WebID should not try to be all things to all people.  This is possibly a
mistake OpenID had in its very early days.

Personally, I'd stick to a solid way to authenticate with an HTTP URI and
leave architects and implementors to extend things it as needed.