[foaf-protocols] W3C WebID review

Doug Schepers schepers at w3.org
Wed Aug 18 22:13:07 CEST 2010

Hi, folks-

Henry may have misunderstood the purpose of this telcon.  This is not a
meeting to discuss WebID per se, but a high-level overview of Web
identity, with the aim of familiarizing the W3C Team as to the current
state of different identity mechanisms (both existing and proposed) and
the major players involved.  WebID is an important part of this, but not
the only part.

While I understand why many people would be interested in participating,
and that there are people with specific expertise who could contribute
productively, I'm sure that you can all appreciate that we have very
limited time (one hour) to cover a very large topic, and having too many
participants will make it hard to do justice to the purpose of the call.
  You might reasonably say, "but I just want to listen, I won't
interrupt"; understood, but I'm not prepared to take that chance.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit in my invitation to Henry that
this is not a public meeting, and that the information was not meant to
be shared broadly; I apologize for not setting the correct expectation.
  It's not a secret that this is going on, and it's natural and obvious
that this is an issue that W3C is interested in, but we do not yet know
if W3C will get involved in a meaningful way, nor what the schedule for
doing so would be.

This meeting is intended to help the W3C Team better understand the
current situation, so we can discuss and decide internally whether we
feel the time is right for us to get involved, and whether we have the
resources to do it right.

Depending on the next steps we take, there will be many more
opportunities to have detailed discussions in the future, which will be
open to the community at large.  But this initial meeting needs to be
much more focused, and, unfortunately, limited in attendance.

So, as the person who is chairing this call, tasked with making sure our
goals are met, I'm afraid I have to be the bad guy who declines to
invite more people.

I apologize, and if any of you want to participate in a follow-up call,
we can start arranging that now.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs