[foaf-protocols] Easy-ish certificate generation tool

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Thu Aug 19 00:36:20 CEST 2010

  On 8/18/10 5:10 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>> I've been playing with Gambas recently (a VisualBasic-like language)
>> and have put together a Wizard-based tool that lets you generate
>> WebID-enabled self-signed X.509 certificate in PKCS12 format, ready to
>> import into your browser.
>>
>> You simply give it your details (name, locality, region, etc), tell it
>> your WebID, and tell it where you want to save the certificate, and the
>> Wizard will generate the WebID certificate for you, and provide you
>> with a little snippet to paste into your FOAF file (it provides
>> RDF/XML, Turtle and RDFa).
>>
>> There's pre-built packages for Fedora and Mandriva, which I've had
>> varying degrees of success using, plus a tarball of the source.
>>
>> http://buzzword.org.uk/2008/foaf_ssl/MakeWebIDCert/
>>
> cool - good work! think Kingsley has one v similar for windows as well :)

Yes, very similar to our Cert. Generator Application, Wizard, and "one
click" applet.

Nice to see something for Linux. These offerings are critical to the
ultimate viability and success of the WebID protocol. We must remove
historic tedium from X509 Cert. generation and management.
> on a side but related note, ever wonder why the hell browsers don't
> generate certificates on demand?
I think at the time, they didn't think in terms of HTTP URI based Names
for Entities :-) In short, they didn't really grok the Distributed Data
Object aspect of the overall Web vision.

Kingsley